At PBJ Connections, it is really important to us to take care of all our horses no matter the weather. Here are some tips for helping your horse stay cool in the summer:
- Provide plenty of water. Horses drink gallons of water a day and they like fresh water the best. Keep them hydrated.
- Provide them with shade. Yes, horses can tough it out in the sun when they have to, but they can also get overheated and sunburned. They are much happier and healthier in the shade.
- Give them electrolytes if they are sweating and working. It won’t hurt to give the recommended amount to any horse, but if they are working, they need electrolytes. This is their Gatorade!
- Keep the air moving. Open doors and windows. Give them fans to stand in front of. The last thing a horse wants is to be shut up without ventilation.
- If they do get overheated, hose them off with cool water. Scrape the excess water off, then hose them again. Repeat until they are no longer hot to the touch and/or are not breathing excessively heavily.
All of this is common sense, right? We agree. So take care of your horses like they want you to!