By now the holiday rush and adrenaline has subsided and most of us are back to work. Many of us have tried to kick off a new routine, a new diet, a new year with a fresh start. Some friends were talking about this very thing on New Year’s Eve and we came up with some great ideas that are a little different than setting that New Year’s Resolution, only to have it fall by the wayside. When that happens, it only makes us feel bad about ourselves. Here are a few ideas to help you feel GOOD about yourself in 2016:
- Every day (or most days; be gentle with yourself here. It can even be once a week) write down something good that happened or that you were grateful to experience. Stick it in a jar or box. Next New Year’s Eve, read through these scraps of paper. You will feel GREAT about yourself and 2016!
- Instead of writing a HUGE to-do list, write down 1-3 things you really want to accomplish each day. At the end of the day, you WILL have accomplished those 1-3 things. You might even jot down all the other things that you accomplished that weren’t even on that list!
- Decide that you are going to smile at someone every day. Then do it. In your car, on the street, at work. It doesn’t matter. Just smile at someone!
- Take 5 deep breaths every time you sit down to work. This helps to pull you together, center you, and gets you ready for whatever you are about to do.
- Color, draw, play music, meditate….whatever you want to do. But do it for 5 minutes each day.
Any or all of these things take very little time and have a huge payoff. When you feel better and more centered, you will automatically eat better, exercise more, and feel happier. Here’s to a fulfilling 2016!